Man, there are some carby things I really miss. Like pizza. UGHHHH I really miss pizza. And don’t tell me I can just eat the toppings – It’s. Not. The. Same.
Enter from stage left: TEH INTERNETZ. (Along with that: amazing people who come up with amazing recipes and post them for our enjoyment.)
I present to you a chicken crust pizza.
It sounds weird. Really weird. But it’s not just slathering pizza toppings on top of a chicken breast. Nor does it taste really chicken-y. I promise you this. It is amazing and I may possibly make it every week, because pizza. I can’t say no.
Pro tip: If you have a stand mixer, go buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Rip off all the meat. Include some skin if you want, it’s delicious. Throw it all in your stand mixer. Using the flat beater attachment, start off slow. Watch the chicken shred, it’s mesmerizing. Increase the speed slightly. After about a minute or two, it will be perfectly minced into itty bitty pieces.
CHICKEN CRUST PIZZA
adapted from Your Lighter Side
Makes an entire 12-14″ pizza
1 1/2 cups cooked minced/shredded chicken
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix everything together. I used my hands. It will be crumbly and you are going to doubt me and this recipe at this point.
3. Press the mixture onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet or pizza pan. I like thin crust, so I did a thin crust. Don’t try to press the mixture onto foil or else it will get really cooked on and you won’t be able to get it off, but you’ll try anyway and you’ll lose half your crust and then you’ll cry in the corner of your kitchen. This may or may not have happened to me.
4. Bake for 12 minutes. Depending on how hot your oven gets or how thick you made your crust, it may not look done or crispy enough. If so, bake it for just a couple more minutes at a time until it’s done to your tastes.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Top with sauce, cheese, and then toppings* of your choice.
7. Set your oven to broil (about 500 degrees Fahrenheit). Stick pizza in for 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
* If you care, the toppings I used: Not gonna lie, I went ghetto-style with this pizza because I either ran out of ingredients, like shredded mozzarella, or I just didn’t have them because this was a spur-of-the-moment recipe and didn’t want to take a trip to the grocery store. So: spinach, frozen broccoli florets, mushrooms, and hard salami torn into pieces. For the cheese topping, I ran out of shredded mozzarella when making the crust, so I tore up some string cheese and used that. Didn’t have pizza sauce either, so I used a can of crushed tomatoes and added garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and kept it simmering until it reduced and thickened.